12/23/08

16 Days of New Things ~ Day 8

Busy, busy bee. But aren't we all?

I have been working to get things in order for the holidays, along with a venture into the world of couponing as I talked about in my last post. I have been one busy Mama.

Unfortunately in all our busy errand running and holiday preparations, my house has been neglected and is now in complete disarray. I have a newly walking 1 year old that loves to get into everything he can, because he can. We had a bookcase filled with DVDs and CDs, well it was filled, now the contents are spilled all over the floor daily. I try and pick them up, just for them to be pulled back down in 5 minutes.

I love my son, and I love watching him develop daily, but I could really do without the naughty "What's this?" curiosity he has adopted. He is so curious to see what his limits are, and what he can do with things now that he can walk around freely.

So, a few things I have learned about toddlers and living room furniture:
  • Always go for entertainment centers that have drawers or doors to hide things behind.
  • Tuck wires behind anything available.
  • Open bookcases that go all the way to the floor, a no-no.
  • Never leave anything on a table that is short enough for them to touch the top.
  • Never, and I mean never, have table covers/cloths that drape far enough down that they can grab them. Especially if there are things on top of that table. (Even if you are using that cloth to cover items you would not like baby to get ahold of. Find another place for those things.)
  • If possible, try to not open drawers in front of your toddler. However if they do happen to see and catch on that those open if pulled on, invest in baby safe locks that attach to the outside. The ones that go inside and you push down to open, still allow a few inches to reach your fingers in. So, it is a possibility that baby can do the same thing and get their fingers smooshed.
What have you learned today? What would you like to share that you already know? Please join us with the Mr. Linkie and in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment